I haven’t been this pumped about an amazon.com order in some time:
- Miles Davis - Bitches Brew [2CD version]
- Andrew Hill - Point of Departure
- Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit/He Miss Road
- Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
- Sun Ra - Other Planes of There
- Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
I’m not quite sure what makes a good hip-hop album good, or what makes a bad one bad. I’ve heard some of the good stuff - A Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, The Roots, De La Soul, etc (hell, I have a soft spot even for NWA’s high-energy, terribly violent stuff) - but since I haven’t heard much else I don’t know exactly why they’re good; I just know I like ‘em. Same goes for any other genre I’m just beginning to explore, I guess - free jazz, for instance - but for some reason hip-hop stands out the most.
Packing for college is hellish. This is supposed to be my “relaxing” week, between my summer job and school. Yeah, whatever.