Something a bit different: songs (as opposed to albums) that I’m digging.
- Aksak Maboul, “Palmiers en Pots” (from Un Peu de l’Ame des Bandits)
- Biota, “Reckoning Falls” (from Object Holder)
- The Coup, “Hip 2 Tha Skeme” (from Genocide & Juice)
- DJ Shadow, “Midnight in a Perfect World” (from Endtroducing…)
- Explosions in the Sky, “Have You Passed Through This Night” (from Those Who Tell the Truth…)
- 5uu’s, “Noah’s Flame” (from Abandonship)
- The Gathering, “Morphia’s Waltz” (from if_then_else)
- Mr. Bungle, “Desert Search for a Techno Allah” (from Disco Volante)
- Mogwai, “Dial:Revenge” (from Rock Action)
- Nathaniel Merriweather, “Book of the Month” (from Lovage)
- NeBeLNeST, “Stimpy Bar” (from Nova Express)
I saw a bunch of movies over Christmas break. One of them was Vanilla Sky. I enjoyed it until the awfully hackneyed sci-fi plot twists during the latter part, which sort of reminded me of Brazil but with a cheesy pseudo-happy-ending. However, I thought the soundtrack was awesome. Radiohead’s “Everything in its Right Place” couldn’t have been used more effectively, and the three Sigur Rós songs were also very well-placed. I recognized a couple other pieces too, but couldn’t name them. Good stuff.